I recently wanted to change the default application for a file type on my computer. Say you wanted your .svg files to open in Inkscape and not the GIMP. Here are 2 simple ways to change it. One way is for Mac OS X users and the other is for Windows XP users.
1. Click on the file you want to change the default program for. Control click on the file and select Get Info (or Apple key + i).
2. Under Open With, click on the drop down menu and select the program you want to use.
3. To apply this to all files with the same extension, click on the Change All button.
4. A textbox will pop up asking “Are you sure you wnat to make this application the default?” Click OK.
Windows XP Users:
1. Right click on the file you want to change the default program for.
2. Click on Open With.
3. Click Choose Program.
4. Select the program you wish to open that file in. if it’s not listed, click on the Browse button to find it on your computer.
5. Select the Always use the selected program to open this type of file checkbox.
6. Click ok.
This should set your default to the new application you chose. Enjoy!