This is a brief tutorial on how to extract a clip of media (video/audio) using the open source media player VLC.
1. Open a video clip in VLC (drag and drop the clip into the playlist window).
2. Click on the Window menu and choose “Bookmarks”
3. Move the video scrubber to the beginning of the clip you want to extract.
4. Click the “Add” button in the Bookmarks window.
5. Play the video to the end of the clip you want to extract.
6. Click the “Add” button again in the Bookmarks window.
7. In the Bookmarks window, highlight the two clips (click and hold down shift at the same time).
8. Click the “Extract” button in the Bookmarks window.
9. Click the “Existing playlist item” button. Click Next.
10. Choose the video and audio formats you want to transcode the clip in. Click Next.
11. Choose the Encapsulation format (MPEG TS is usually good). Click Next.
12. Choose were to save your file and the name to save it (by clicking the “Choose” button). Click Next.
13. Click “Finish” (or to edit a setting, click the “Back” button).
14. Your video will encode that part of the clip you designated with the Bookmarks.
*Try different settings for file formats to ensure a proper transcoding of your clip.